After thinking about the story choices I originally put forth and doing some self reflecting I have decided to tell my health and fitness journey. I've reached a point where I need to find extra motivation to continue this journey and I feel like telling my story to this point will help me find that. My story is a personal narrative. Telling this story will be something that can speak to others that are on the same journey or even those that haven't started yet and are looking for that reason to move forward with their own. My main focus will be to provide motivation to others and help my own issues that I'm still struggling with-body dysmorphia and the motivation to continue. My fitness journey has been a lengthy one, but also an all natural journey that has led to better health and improvement with family relationships. I plan to use this in a staff development environment. My school has a program this year called Wellness Wednesday where once a month an activity or a speaker come to talk about an aspect of wellness. For my project I will show my story and then teach a short kickboxing class since that is my main form of exercise that has brought me to where I am at.
Using Ohler's process for developing a story the first thing that I will do is create the story core.
Problem-I was overweight and out of shape.
Transformation-I will show how I changed. I will show what I learned and I will show the mental growth and self development I have gained.
Solution-I've lost 73lbs and feel better than I have in over 20 years.
Developing my story map, I will use a basic story arc.
I have not yet decided the exact tools or means to produce my story but I'm leaning towards a voiceover with photos. I have begun researching many different ways of developing this story. I will share my story through youtube. I think the photos will tell the story so much better than anything else.
I will assess my own digital story the same way that I would assess a students digital story in my classroom. The process is important but the story itself is going to be the most important part. A proper rubric should be developed for the assessment process.
1.6. Creative Communicator
Students communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to their goals. Students:
1.6.a. Choose the appropriate platforms and digital tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
1.6.b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
1.6.c. Use digital tools to visually communicate complex ideas to others.
1.6.d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
Resources:
International Society for Technology in Education. (2024). ISTE standards: For students. ISTE; International Society for Technology in Education. https://iste.org/standards/students
Ohler, J. B. (2008). Digital storytelling in the classroom: New media pathways to literacy, learning, and creativity. Corwin Press.

Comments
Post a Comment