Skip to main content

Introduction-EDUC 5333




My name is Katrina Lifer and I am a 2nd grade teacher and Instructional Technology Coach in small town Altus, OK.  I started my teaching career in 2009 as a teacher's aide and quickly realized how much I wanted to have my own classroom. I have been teaching 2nd grade for the past 4 years and served as an Instructional Technology Coach for the past 2 years.     

I have been married to my husband for almost 21 years. We were set up on a date by my best friend during my senior year of high school and have been together ever since. Together we have 4 children (20,17,10, and 6). Our 20 year old is leaving for the United States Air Force in January 2025. Our 17 year old is in her senior year of high school and will be going to Spain in August 2025 to play soccer for an academy in Castellon de la Plana. We love to spend time together by going camping,  hiking or traveling to new places. 

When I first started to read this assignment I was very much confused by what story to tell, but after the readings for this week I have a better understanding of what I need to do to complete this course. Some ideas that I have for my story include talking about the process of adopting my youngest two children, although after last night's Zoom meeting I am starting to think that it is not quite time to tell that story since my boys are still so young and wouldn't be able to be an active part of the process. Another idea that I have is that being only 17 when I got pregnant with my oldest child, I had to make a lot of decisions about my life through those early years. I dropped out of high school and got my GED and now here I am getting my Master's degree, so telling the story of working through adversity to get what and where you want to get in life is another idea I have. My last idea is to tell about my health/fitness journey over the last few years. Being a young mom, it was easy to give up on myself and gain a ton of weight and be unhealthy. Through the process of adopting my youngest two children I decided that I needed to be sure to take care of myself as well. 

I hope as we continue to explore the process of digital storytelling I can narrow down my choices and decide what story to tell. The Digital Storytelling Cookbook was the most helpful reading this week when it came to figuring out what it meant to tell my story. It gave me the most ideas for discovering where to move forward with this project. Depending on what story I choose, I think that it will resonate best with my coworkers. If I choose the adoption story it could be utilized by colleagues as way to help them see the other side of things. We don't always know what is going on in someone's life and finding a way to reach them can be challenging. If I choose the story of myself, I could use it with high school students or even speaking to students at the alternative education program on how their life is what they make of it. Finally, if I choose the journey of my own health and wellbeing  it could be used with my school's Wellness Wednesday program. In my district we have a committee that tries to find ways to help teachers and staff take care of themselves throughout the year-physically and mentally. We have speakers as well as organized fitness activities and my story could fit right in with one of our activities. 


References

Lambert, J. (2010). Digital Storytelling Cookbook. Center for Digital Story Telling. Open Education Resource. (Chapter 1)

Comments

  1. Hi Katrina, It sounds like you have so many different personal stories to choose from, that can inspire and connect with audiences! You overcame adversity as a young mother and went on to get an education - that is definitely something to be proud of, and is something that can resonate with students and peers! I also really appreciate that you care about how your stories might help others - through adoption insights, perseverance or self-care. I'm excited to see which story you ultimately choose, and how you'll decide to bring your story to life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3

Part 1:  When starting to develop the LMS for this class I had a moment where I realized I have already been put in charge of something similar for my district. I have been asked to create a repository of resources for teachers that allows them to figure out the best technology to use for certain situations. Using the Triple E Framework I will be able to evaluate the technology before outlining it for teachers. Though the Triple E Framework will be the best approach for me to examine the technology I am putting out for teachers to use, I do think that they will need an introduction to the framework to develop a better understanding for what I am using to evaluate. The teachers and staff in my district will be the lead learners in this project and I will be creating the course for them to build a resource that allows them to access technology to enhance, engage and extend. This will allow teachers to make sure that their students are moving forward with technology in the most bene...

EDUC 5373-Week 3

1) From the Crompton (2023) article, describe at least two best practices to support student learning gains from educational research reflected in the ISTE Educator Standards. How might these connections assist you in guiding the development of a Technology Vision for your district or organization based on the identified digital divide(s) you have identified? Best Practices from Educational Research (Crompton, 2023) to Support Student Learning Goals: Students as Active Learners: Crompton (2023) emphasizes the importance of students being active learners and the value of student-centered approaches. This aligns with ISTE Educator Standard 2.1 (Learner), which encourages educators to continuously improve by learning from others and exploring new strategies. Blanchard et al. (2016) investigated the effects of teacher training on student performance in math and science. Teachers who received training on integrating technology into their teaching saw higher student test scores compared to ...

EDUC 5243-Blog 1

       The technology framework that would best serve the district I am in is the Triple E Framework by Dr. Liz Kolb. This is a way to evaluate how effective technology is by looking at 3 points: engagement, enhancement and extension. Using these components technology is evaluated by how much it helps to achieve the learning goals and objectives. Instead of looking at technology as fluff and more as how it can be most effective for the students. The engagement aspect of the framework helps to look at how well the technology is helping with achieving these learning goals and how little the technology is distracting the students. The enhancement part looks at if the technology adds value to the lesson more than a traditional method could. Extension is considering how the students can be connected to real world life outside of the classroom.   ( https://www.tripleeframework.com/framework-models.htm , 2020)      In my district, using technology i...